Wednesday, April 22, 2009

*Interview*

I had an interview today! First one since I got laid off at the end of March. I was really just glad to know that someone was actually looking at my resume, since I have applied for several positions and heard nothing back! Well the "interview," if you can even call it that, was with a staffing agency. I was not impressed. I've never worked with a staffing agency so I guess I just wasn't sure what to expect, but my interview was at 2:00 and it was at least 2:15 before anyone acknowledged me. The receptionist was on the phone, so finally she asked if she could help me with anything. I told her why I was there and she handed me a stack of papers which took THIRTY freakin minutes to fill out! By the way, I hate when places make you fill out an application listing all the exact same info that's on your resume. So, I fill out most of the paperwork, even though it includes tax forms and an I-9 and stuff and I don't even know anything about the job yet. I felt like handing the papers back to her and saying I would wait to fill them out until I had actually accepted a position! But, like I said, I've never gone to a staffing agency before, so I didn't know if that was the norm or not. So I sit and wait while this woman hollers all over the office asking if anyone wants a soda cause she's running to the vending machine. The woman comes back and hands out the drinks. 5 minutes later, she comes back out to the "lobby" area to get me.... this is the woman I have my "interview" with. So by this time it's almost 3:00. I sit in her office while she basically reads me my resume and asks the same two questions that she asked me on the phone yesterday. So she says she is going to set up an interview for me to meet with the employer. And that's about it. Seriously. That was the extent of my "interview." Oh, and PS: She was on the phone with other clients for about half the time I was in her office. Rude?? I think so. I can't believe I bought a new outfit for that!

Anyway... I should hear back from her tomorrow about setting up that interview with the actual hiring company. The position sounds pretty good- The director of some sort of counseling center has been handling all the HR stuff herself, but is getting overwhelmed so she wants to bring in an HR Generalist. I love the fact that it is with a company that does something I'm interested in (hello, psych major), and that it is located near Friendly Shopping Center! But, the down side is that she is only looking for a part-time HR person for right now. 2-3 days a week, flexible scheduling. The pay rate is about what I was making before (hourly), but with only being 16-24 hours a week, I would be making less there than I would if I continued to collect unemployment. So, I'll do the interview and see if I like her and like the place and then decide. If I did take it, at least it would be experience to add to my resume, and would look better than having a large gap, and the staffing agency did mention the possibility of getting a salary increase/benefit options, so we'll see... I'll keep you posted.

In other news... I'm having trouble deciding what to do this weekend. Do I,

A) Go camping at Hanging Rock with Will and his friend Matt, and get to be with Sadie (the puppy) on her first camping trip; or

Me and the Sade-ster, cheerin on the Heels!


B) Leave Fri to drive 5+ hours by myself to see my extended family and be there for my nephew's first birthday party?

That's me and Owen on the right, and my Mom and the nephew who is 7, Mason, on the left. Mason was being camera shy and trying to squirm away!


WWYD? I'm almost hoping that my interview is on Friday so that will make my decision for me. I would love to be there for Owen's birthday and get to see all my nieces and nephews (ages 7, 4, 4, 2, and 1) but I also really want to take Sadie camping! She'd have so much fun =)

Shout Outs:

  • Katie: So glad we got to catch up today! Everything is falling into place for you and I'm so excited!! =)

Prayers:

  • Kelly: Hope you feel better soon! We'll do wine night some other time
  • Molly: I miss you and I hope that you are happy and safe, wherever you are!

hmm...all three of my b-maids today, weird =)




2 comments:

Carissa June said...

Hello!

1. I have no idea why you can't follow mine...I can't figure out how to follow another friend of mine's either, but she follows me. She's been blogging forever, I'll see if she knows :)

2. I applied to a staffing agency for this summer. It's basically like a temp agency but they will place longterm or permanent. They have you fill out the tax forms and such early, so that they can place you in a job...they pay you, not the company you work for. At least that's what greg and I interpreted the staffing agency thing, and everything you described seems right on. They just really wanted to see you in person to make sure you are reliable and not a crazy person.

I however, have not heard a word from the staffing agency I signed up with...so CONGRATS and good luck with the job stuff!

Talk to you soon :)

Unknown said...

the interview yesterday does sound wack and completely unprofessional, however, the following interview sounds pretty good! :) Keep me updated!! Andddd..I've been contemplating the situation, I think camping is in order. To see Sadie doing such cute things and enjoying her first camping experience. Thennn, you should go to VA the next possible weekend you have open...maybe when Will can go? Just a thought! Love you & miss you! :)