Friday, September 25, 2009
I will say this:
1. The wedding was perfect
2. The honeymooon was amazing
and 3. We have a LOT of gifts in our house right now!!
If the rain holds off, we will be having a yard sale in the morning to get rid of the old to make room for the new!!!
Married life is wonderful so far =)
Thursday, September 3, 2009
Sunday we will spend a little more time visiting with family and friends before heading down to Charlotte to stay in the Westin (for free- thank you credit card points!) and flying out early Monday morning to spend the week in Playa Del Carmen. The weather looks great so far for the wedding and the honeymoon, so keep your fingers crossed!
Once we get back from Mexico and settle in, I expect I will feel like I have a lot of free time on my hands (with no wedding planning to do!) but if you know me, you know I never completely relax and always have several lists in my head, so I'll share my thoughts on what I want to accomplish when we get back:
1. Find a new job. Seriously. It has now been six months since I got laid off and I am sick of being broke! I haven't had a whole lot of time to be looking for jobs, but really didn't think anyone would want to hire someone who was planning a wedding and about to need a week and a half off right away. But now it is time. This is priority numero uno.
2. Thank You's. I hate writing thank you cards. In fact, I'm pretty terrible at doing them for birthdays and Christmas, but I forced myself to for both graduations, and I know that this is one more time where they are neccessary. So my goal is to get at least 5 done a day until they are DONE.
3. Organize our house! It has become wedding crap central and I can't wait to get rid of all of it, so I can actually see what we have (gift-wise) and start getting rid of duplicates and making space for our new things. Our neighborhood is having a community yard sale a few weeks after we get back, so that is my deadline for getting rid of the old stuff to make room for the new!
4. Scrapbooking! Ohhhhh, how I have missed this hobby. In fact, the last time I scrapbooked anything was the night we got engaged (way back in November!) I am so behind on things- I have Christmas presents from last year that never were finished! I must get those done before this Christmas and I want to scrapbook the engagement/wedding/honeymoon ASAP before I forget any details or lose any of the little memorobilia pieces I have been saving (like the bows that I broke at my showers.... hello, those are my future children we're talking about! Three to be exact!)
5. Working out again. I know this is something I should have been doing before the wedding but we canceled our Y membership last Fall when money was getting a little tight and without that, I really had no desire or motivation to work out at home. But I'm not giving up yet! I have gained a good 25-30 pounds in the last 3-4 years, and I am sick of it! It's not really about how I look, it's about how I feel in my own clothes. Even though I can hide it with flowy pretty shirts, I'm just not a fan of how the muffin top FEELS, hanging over my jeans! That's gross, I know, but tell me you've never experienced this!
Okay, well there you have it..... my top 5 things to do post-honeymoon.
Now for the 5,000 things I must still do pre-wedding!
Thanks for all the encouraging words throughout this process! I promise to be back when it is over!
Oh, and I should add (since this was supposed to be the whole theme of this blog), that I think we did a pretty good job with our wedding budget. I will finalize it and post the details of it sometime. We may end up going over budget by a little bit, but we did get some AMAZING deals along the way! I'll have to post a picture of me and Will in Harris Teeter with FOUR grocery carts full of beer! (It was on sale- $8.88 for 18 bottles! That's about $1.50 less PER BOTTLE than what the caterer charges! Yes, we will have over 1,000 bottles of beer at our reception, thankyouverymuch!)
Bye for now Bloggy friends!!!
Edited to Add: For those of you reading this that have kept up with the situation with my FBIL, he is doing great! He's been at Walter Reed for the last few weeks- he got his leg! And he has been learning how to walk on it. He's coming home today (and going to stay with us tonight- yay!) so on Saturday he will WALK DOWN THE AISLE as Will's Best Man. Probably with crutches or a cane, but that is still amazing to me. I'm tearing up right now just thinking about it. In fact, I don't expect there to be a dry eye in the place on the wedding day! I am not a very religious person, but I have prayed harder for TJ than I ever have about anything in my whole life. I know that just to have him alive is a mircale in itself, but considering we almost called off the wedding because we didn't know if he would walk again, and now, just six months later, everything is coming together, all his hard work is paying off, and all the prayers were heard- so thank you everyone for praying for him and thinking about him! I can't tell you how happy it makes me!
Saturday, August 8, 2009
1) We booked our honeymoon!!! We are going to Playa del Carmen, Mexico! First, we will spend time with out of town family on Sunday, then drive to Charlotte Sunday afternoon and spend the night in the Westin. Then we'll be leaving bright (actually, probably dark!) and early Monday morning, flying first to NYC and then into Cancun, staying at an all-inclusive resort for four nights, and enjoying every minute! Keep your fingers crossed for nice weather and no hurricanes, because I plan to spend some quality time on the beach and at the swim-up pool bar.
2) I have had two great showers in the last two weeks- first a kitchen/recipe shower given by my FMIL's friends, then an "around the clock" shower given by Katie, my MOH. I got tons of great gifts (and recipes) and enjoyed seeing so many friends and family members!
In other news, TJ is doing well- his new house is awesome and we have gotten to go visit twice since he moved in (once in mid-June to help him move and then again for the fourth of July!)
Every time we are there I don't want to leave, but it will probably be a while before we get back down. The wedding is four weeks from today (ahh!) and then it is football season! Maybe we'll go down when there is an away game, because we have season tickets to UNC this year and I am so excited! Will is already making elaborate tail-gating plans, so it will definitely be a fun, busy, newly-wed Fall! I hope everyone is having an exciting summer! I promise I've been trying to keep up with everyone elses blogs, even if I've neglected my own!
Monday, August 3, 2009
Friday, July 10, 2009
Katie and I became fast friends in sixth grade and, although we haven't always been as close throughout the years, I can honestly say that she is one of very few people that has remained a close and true friend. She is a wonderful person and I could not ask for a better Maid of Honor. She is smart, funny, trustworthy, sincere, motivated, and truly beautiful- inside and out!
I am so happy for her and her FIANCE- Eric and I wish them both nothing but the best! My heart is so full of love and happiness right now that I could just burst! Or burst into tears- and if you know me, you know they are tears of joy!! Haha =)
I love you both SO much!!!
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Sunday: Flounders (PS: they have the best Key Lime Pie ever- note Kristen's piece below!)
Saturday: This pretty girl's wedding!
So if I don't update for a few days, yall will know why! Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend! I know I will!!! =)
Thursday, June 4, 2009
I have been working at a friend's restaurant from 10-2, Monday-Friday, and it is great! It gets me up and out of the house each day, but I still have time to shop/run errands/go to the pool in the afternoons. Plus, the extra cash is handy ;)
So what else is new... hmm.... we tasted cake with a local lady who works out of her home and her price was reasonable ($3 per slice) but we want to keep looking. She didn't have a wide variety of flavors to choose from, and would not do some of the decorative things we wanted, like have chocolate brown swirls on ivory buttercream icing. She said the dark colors bleed onto the white. Is this true? Can anyone tell me how theirs turned out if you had dark decor on light frosting? And while were at it... suggest some cake flavors! We tasted all yellow cakes, one with strawberry filling, one with raspberry, and one with orange. They were all good, but just not quite what I had in mind. She asked what we were looking for and I drew a blank, so someone help me out here! What's your favorite kind of cake???
I've been working on rentals, just trying to find the best prices and the most convenient as far as delivery, set up, breakdown, etc. Any recommendations? I'm having trouble getting places to respond to my emails. I know I just need to suck it up and call, but email is so much easier!
This past weekend was Kelly's lingerie shower and bachelorette party and both were so much fun! Her shower really made me re-think having one of my own. I don't really look that great (I don't think) in typical lingerie, and would rather have more practical gifts, but Kelly did get some really cute things! Only a few were the over-the-top-sexy things that only get worn maybe once a year and for all of five minutes. The rest were cute, sweet little nightgowns and robes and such- enough to be sexy, but not uncomfortable! Maybe I'll have to mention the idea to Katie....unless she's reading this..... ;)
The bachelorette party was great too- Kelly has a really great group of friends and I am so blessed to be one of them! We had a nice dinner at a local, swanky "green" hotel, and then went downtown to dance! I haven't had a night of dancing like that since college and it was a blast! No boys, of course... any that got too close were quickly told "no thank you" and pushed out of the way by a fellow bridesmaid! It's so much more fun that way, lol.
That's about all the updates I can think of for now... I will try to upload some pictures this weekend (I have been busy on a couple crafty little decorative things for the wedding, but you'll just have to wait to see those!)
Oh, and I promised to mention this fun giveaway- a $10 Starbucks card (you know you want it!) from Brenda at Prarie Tales (http://prairiebren.blogspot.com/) Can someone tell me how to make the blog name clicky instead of having to copy and paste the url? I really need an HTML class.....
Alright, well I hope everyone is having a good week!
Kelly- 16 days till you are a Mrs!! ;) Holy Cow!!
Evan- My little cousin is 4 today! Happy Birthday!!! Love you!
Lauren- A bloggy friend who is having a "blue" day- cheer up chica!! You're too pretty not to smile!
Sunday, May 17, 2009
Kelly and her new monogram on a red velvet cupcake! Yum.
Reading the card I gave her. PS I love my wrapping job! =) Won't Kelly make a gorgeous bride??
Also.... my best friend and MOH, Katie, is on the verge of engagement status and I am so totally stoked for her! I cannot wait! Her boyfriend is a fantastic guy and they seem to make each other so happy and just be so right for each other. So, if all goes according to plan (or at least what we suspect the plan might be) she will be next!!!!
This is such an exciting time in my life, and I'm so lucky to have friends and loved ones to share it with! Especially since I was in tears yesterday and ready to call the whole thing off, but that's another story. (Think wine at the shower mixed with crazy hormonal mood swings plus a stressful wedding planning conversation with my Dad. Nothing is simple with him and I just wasn't in the mood to deal). But that's over now- wedding planning is most definitely still on and I know we'll make it and it will be beautiful and everything will work out and it will be the best day of my life! (A little pep talk for myself there....)
Okay...seriously... Bojangles now. Hope everyone has a great Sunday!
Shout Outs to Matt and Ashley for hanging out with us last night, Kelly for being a great friend and a beautiful bride-to-be and Shan and Greg that they have a fabulous first shower today!
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Also... I got a job! Well, sort of... just a part-time restaurant job. Remember when I got a free lunch the other day from my friend's fiance's deli? Well we had dinner with them on Saturday and it turns out that he was looking for someone to help out at the restaurant for lunches! So, starting Monday I'll be working 10-2, Monday-Friday (hello, awesome schedule), getting paid CASH, and getting free lunch every day! Yayyyyy! =)
So... to celebrate my new job, my successful meeting with the photog, and my upcoming birthday (one month from today!) I ventured over to South Pointe while I was in Durham. I mean... if Victoria's Secret wants to send me a $10 gift card a month early for my birthday... who am I to say no? So I am now the proud owner of this:
Look at the cute back, too! I just love it! And I haven't "loved" a bathing suit on me, probably since elementary school. Bathing suit shopping is just depressing when you are 55378008 (type it in a calculator and flip it upside down...yep, you remember, I know you do!). If anyone reading this suffers from the same affliction, I highly recommend this type of top!
The best part? It was on sale! The top was $14.99 and the bottoms were $12.99, so with my $10 gift card, it was less than $10! Totally worth every penny!
Now I just have to Shred a few more times and get a tan, so I look a little more like that girl and a little less like the Michelin Man....
SO excited to have Melissa shoot our wedding! Here are a couple of pictures from her blog that I absolutely love!
All pictures copyright Melissa Smith Photography
I can't wait to meet her! =)
Monday, May 11, 2009
Well, in Fall of 2007 my sister's Dad (my former step-dad) lost his battle with cancer. Aaron's mom called my mom, and ta-da! We were re-connected. Unfortunately, it took us awhile to actually meet face-to-face, but I did get to see her a couple times that spring, and was actually able to see her graduate high school. (Imagine what a shock that was.... Aaron was probably about 9 the last time I saw her, and I would have been 14, and then to see each other again at 17 and 22- wow!)
So, Aaron just finished her freshman year at college and is now home for the summer, so today we had lunch. We talked for about 2 hours- in part because I had so many things I wanted to know, and in part because our waitress disappeared for about 30 minutes- but all in all it was a great lunch! It was so good to see her and to "get to know her" again, and I hope that we have more chances to do that this summer. She is leaving next weekend for a study abroad program in Uganda, but will be back in June.
I hate that I missed being a "big sister" for so much of her life, but I'm SO glad that we are back in touch and I hope that we can stay that way!
Love you lots, little sis!
Sunday, May 10, 2009
I'm off to have brunch with my Mom, Mima, and Papa, and then back here to cook dinner for Will's Mom! I am truly lucky to have them all so close by. Hope everyone has a fantastic day!
PS: I got a very sweet handmade card from Sadie this morning! I have the best puppy (and fiance) ever! Thanks, guys- I love you too!! XOXO
Thursday, May 7, 2009
Okay, so I'm a mess.... 121 days till the wedding, no job, no job prospects, and I'm out freakin shopping! Somebody stop me!!
At least I got a free lunch today! (My friend Rita's fiance owns a little deli) Thanks Rita and Jason! That's my justification for a $70 shopping spree.... free lunch and I returned a $10 necklace...lol.
Okay, well now I REALLY need to be productive and do some cleaning before Will gets home =)
Hope everyone else is enjoying this sunshine today!
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
The Men- being pretty!
Mom showing off her new Brighton jewelry!
Mom, Mima, Papa
Anne, Mom, Tammy, Karen- watching the Derby!
Me and Mom =)
The blue candles I had been eyeing at Michael's were finally on sale- 40% off! I got one for each lantern, and a bag of white/ivory potpourri to fill in the bottom. The candle isn't quite tall enough so it's on a piece of tupperware for now, until I find something better! =)
Flip flop jewels- to make fun reception flops for the bridesmaids... $1! (Target, my favorite place)
My beautiful new bag- Rosss $16.99! I Just loved the leather and the color, and the lining is animal print- too cute!
Oh, and I got my ring cleaned and inspected for the first time (it's 6 month "check-up!") So shiny! I get so many compliments on it, everywhere I go!
- Mom- Happy 50th!!! Love you!!
- My Eskimo Buddy- Only three days of work left!! =)
- For once, everyone I know personally is doing really well! I'll keep praying for TJ today though- that his recovery continues to go so successfully!
- And I'm so thankful for all the wonderful people in my life... my friends and my family... I love you all!! XOXO
Okay, so here's what you'll need:
- Grape Vine Wreath (18-24") Michael's has these on sale for $4.99
- Coated chicken wire cut the length of your wreath + 2 inches Hardware store, Feed store, etc
- Florists wire (22 gauge/8 oz) about 30 inches Michael's $1.99
- 1 plastic bag the width of your wreath (either a grocery bag, or a trash bag if you have a larger wreath)
- 1 small bag of Spanish moss I got a huge bag at Michael's for $5.99, they had smaller ones for less
- Fern Pins Michael's $1.49
- About 2 cups of potting soil
- A variety of small plants (Suggestion: 1 foundation plant like a 3" Asparagus Fern, 2 trailing plants like Ivy or Potato Plant, 1-6 packs of small blooming flowers like Impatiens or other small greenery like Dichondra) I got enough to make two wreaths for $13.28 at Lowe's
Here's what to do:
- Cut the chicken wire the width of your wreath plus 2 inches. Turn back one inch on each end to form a pocket.
- Attach the wire pocket to the bottom of your wreath with your florists wire
- Line the wire pocket with a plastic bag
- Place your foundation plant in the center, your ivy or other trailing plant at each end, and then add in your other plants. Fill with potting soil as needed
- Roll the excess plastic bag in towards the wire pocket and tuck it in the edges.
- Use the fern pins to attach the Spanish Moss to the front of the basket (and back if desired)
- Water as needed. If you tend to over-water plants, you can poke a few holes in the bottom of your plastic bag to allow it to drain.
- Your plants will fill in and the Ivy will begin to grow around the wreath!
- *Beware* Birds love to steal the moss for their nests, so watch for falling fern pins and replace the moss as needed, until the trailing plants have grown enough to cover the plastic bag!
Here is what the end result will look like! (I made two- one with just greenery and white flowers, to hang on my red front door, and one with pink impatiens to give to my Mima for Mother's Day!)
Beautiful, organic, decorative, handmade, and thoughtful! What more could Mom ask for?? =)
If anyone tries it, please post pictures and let me know how it turned out! I am in love with these things and my FMIL and I are going to make 4 more in late summer to use on the 4 giant wooden doors of the Barn! I'm so excited- I think they're going to look great with lots of greenery and some white flowers, and maybe even with wooden letters of our initials hanging in the center! Too cute!
Speaking of cute... here's Sadie in the window watching Mommy take pictures outside =)
So I really enjoyed making these, in case you couldn't tell, and I'm hoping to blog more about some of my other crafty projects I have in mind, so stay tuned!
Okay so here goes...
1. What is your current obsession? Shopping for wedding deals
2. Which item of clothing do you wear most often? Flip flops! Do those count? Mostly my rainbows =)
3. What's for dinner? Pizza and cake and ice cream with my family for my Mom's 50th!
4. What are you listening to? HA! Actually....my Dad on the phone.... he'll talk your ear off if you let him...and I am.
5. Say something about the person who tagged you. Grace is such a sweet, loving, and creative person .
6. Favorite vacation spot? Anywhere at the beach!
7. What are you reading right now? Night Journals... a random book I picked up off the clearance table at Barnes and Noble.
8. 4 words to describe yourself: emotional, creative, thoughtful, ...lazy! :)
9. Guilty pleasure? Sleeping in late, shopping when I can't really afford it...playing on the internet!
10. First spring thing to do? Sit in the sunshine every chance possible!
I tag... Carissa from http://www.gregandcarissa.blogspot.com/ and Melissa from http://www.feathersnpearls.blogspot.com/. Have fun!