Thursday, March 19, 2009

Settling back down

Well it looks like things have calmed down a little bit, at least for now. TJ is doing well- they have moved him out of Baptist Hospital to a room at Western Florida University's Rehabilitation Institute. He's got the Navy on his side, so I am assuming that this is the best rehab place available to him. As of yesterday he was sharing a room with a 75 year old man with a broken neck (poor thing), but he is getting his own room sometime today. While he is there he'll be doing a lot of pretty intense PT- I think they said about 5 hours a day, although I am assuming that is spread out. He's only allowed visitors between 5:30 and 9 pm, so we are waiting to go back down to see him until he has a little more free time, or until he gets to go home, but we don't know when that will be yet. We're just sort of playing it by ear each day.


He sounds like he's doing better emotionally, so that's a relief. He had a rough couple days when they took him off of the heavy duty pain meds, which I was afraid of. Hopefully he'll keep up his positive attitude though and will have the strength to get through this. He's a tough guy and he is definitely motivated, so I think he's going to do great! The time is going to be the hardest part... he's looking at a year of recovery before he's back to where he was and ready to return to his training. He's going to get anxious and frustrated, but hopefully the time will pass quickly and he'll progress at a steady pace.


The Navy is behind him 100% and he has received overwhelming support from not only his own squadron, but his commanding officers, all the way up to the Admiral (which is basically the top of the food chain). As long as everything goes well with his rehabilitation, TJ will be the first Naval Flight Officer with an amputation. Which will make him kind of a big deal... people will know him! :) Haha.... TJ was born to be famous... who knew this was how it would happen!


In other news.... I found out last Tuesday (right before I left for Florida), that my position is being eliminated, so I will be laid off in the near future. I have no official term date yet, but it is looking like either the last day of the month, or I may stay on into April, maybe just as part time, since my boss just had shoulder surgery last week and will need some time off for her PT appointments for the next few weeks. She's also been out all this week and probably most of next week, so they begged me to stay at least until she returns... ironic, isn't it? (It's all quite complicated, I know!) I've applied for a couple positions and will probably apply for a couple more today, but I haven't heard anything back yet and it is looking like I will have to collect unemployment for a little while. Will would hate me for saying this, but I'm kind of okay with that. I could definitely use a break for a little while, and I know it will be tough financially, so I'd probably have to get a part time job waiting tables or something, but that wouldn't be the end of the world. What a crappy time to graduate college...any other 07 or 08 grads out there, I'm sure you feel me on that one! Since graduation I've had two "real" jobs, both of which I was over-qualified for and under-paid, and BOTH of which I've been laid off from. It's like... "Welcome to the real world, too bad you spent 4 years working hard, and will be in debt for the next 30 years, but MAN it was fun, wasn't it?" Haha...at least I have great memories, made great friends, and met my wonderful fiance at UNC. Otherwise, I might be pretty pissed about the whole thing!

Okay, well on to what this blog was meant to be about.... my WEDDING! My BM dresses came in and I picked them up last night!!! They look good, but they are definitely going to need to be altered. I hate that for my girls, but I don't think there's a way around it. Because of the style, the straps to the halter and the "decorative" straps on the back are going to have to be fit specifically for each one. My camera was dead last night, so I'll add some pictures to this post later so you can see what I'm talking about.

I also found the perfect FG basket at Family Dollar yesterday!! Mia is going to be so adorable =)

That's all for now....thanks for reading my mini-novel! I promise to be better about updating.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY for the new post! That's a cute lil pic of TJ! :) And I loved the paragraph about the 07/08 grads..haha. ::hand is raised:: I'm on my 2nd job and def. been over qualified and under paid! :( What's the world coming to?!? Anywho, I'm gonna leave something for you on my bloggy today..you will have to come check! :)

Bailey said...

doesn't it look like it's straight out of Top Gun??? Ride in to the DANGER ZONE..... hahaha! That pic was actually a Christmas gift to me and Will- a giant 8 x 10 of it in a frame... TJ's so funny! And awesome =)

Unknown said...

that is a total Top Gun pic! And he wears that adorable jump suit like the movie and everything :)

Bailey said...

haha- yep! When we were down there one of his roommates called it a "pickle suit" and that's totally what it looks like!