Monday, May 11, 2009

Today I had a fantastic lunch date with my sister! (But wait... I thought you were an only child?) Technically, yes- I am an only child and have spent most of my life that way. However, my Mom re-married when I was about 10 years old, and so from the time that they were dating until the time that they divorced (probably 4-5 years?), I had a step-sister, Aaron. We stayed in touch for a year or two after the divorce (thanks to our Moms), but we are 5 years apart and the 5 year difference between 9 and 14 might as well be 20. So we lost touch during that time- chatting once every couple years on AIM and eventually finding each other on Facebook.



Well, in Fall of 2007 my sister's Dad (my former step-dad) lost his battle with cancer. Aaron's mom called my mom, and ta-da! We were re-connected. Unfortunately, it took us awhile to actually meet face-to-face, but I did get to see her a couple times that spring, and was actually able to see her graduate high school. (Imagine what a shock that was.... Aaron was probably about 9 the last time I saw her, and I would have been 14, and then to see each other again at 17 and 22- wow!)



So, Aaron just finished her freshman year at college and is now home for the summer, so today we had lunch. We talked for about 2 hours- in part because I had so many things I wanted to know, and in part because our waitress disappeared for about 30 minutes- but all in all it was a great lunch! It was so good to see her and to "get to know her" again, and I hope that we have more chances to do that this summer. She is leaving next weekend for a study abroad program in Uganda, but will be back in June.



I hate that I missed being a "big sister" for so much of her life, but I'm SO glad that we are back in touch and I hope that we can stay that way!





Love you lots, little sis!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i love this story! You two are so beautiful! :)